Sunday, June 22, 2008

Youth Camp

Yesterday I returned from a visit to the girls youth camp that two of my daughters have been to this week. Up until just a couple of hours before I left I was waffling about whether to go or not. However, it was a great privilege to be there.

I have been involved in the planning and presentation of this annual youth retreat for girls off and on for many years. It was nice this year to come up as a visitor. I know what happens at camp. I can almost predict daily attitudes, the effectiveness of spiritual activities based on the involvement of the youth leadership, which girl's are most likely to have their testimony strengthened and which are mearly tolerating the experience. I love camp. It is one of the greatest catalysts to life-long spiritual commitments that I know of.

I have thought of attending camp similar to a mini-life. There is so many parallels and lessons to be learned in the experiences of camp. I love it!

This year was the first year I was able to attend a camp when SWEETHEART and SUNSHINE were there. It was such a joy to see them together. They simply glowed with the experience. They were having fun, learning and open to the spiritual experiences that camp presents. SWEETHEART and SUNSHINE have very different personalities. At home they are kind to each other but don't usually choose the others company. At camp it was great to see them with their arms around each other, including each other in their activities and groups and looking completely "at home" and comfortable in each others presence.

The coolest thing for me was hearing each of them bear testimony. I am so pleased with the strength of testimony that they each have. I am proud of them and the way that they interact with others as a result. In the presentation right before testimonies were shared the speaker asked the girls to close their eyes and imagine themselves in the place that this scripture takes them. She then read a scripture that describes the reward prepared for those who keep the commandments. In her testimony SUNSHINE shared that when she closed her eyes she saw a beautiful mansion and that not only was the Savior there but her family was there also. She expressed gratitude for her family and the expectation that we will be together. SWEETHEART, in her testimony, shared that when she closed her eyes she saw the same thing that her sister saw, her family.

How cool is that!!?!!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

That is really cool! Emily is very private with her testimony. EFY and camp are her outlets, only I'm not there. :( Next year my girls will be at camp together, so I hope they will be sweet to one another as well! You give me hope!

tammy said...

That gave me goosebumps to read about Sunshine's testimony. You must be so proud of your beautiful girls.