Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A Gentle Reminder

I was watching a program on TV a few days ago. I had switched to the program in the middle and was mesmerized by the message of learning and service that was being presented. I took note and followed up with some research to try to find a transcript of the entire program. As a result I have committed to be a little better, a little more prepared and a little kinder. The quote that follows are some of the words that caught my attention when I first switched on the program.

Your service may not be in what the world would recognize as a lofty calling. When the real value of service becomes clear in the judgment of God, some people who worked in quiet anonymity will be the real heroes. Many of them, perhaps most of them, will be the underpaid and under-recognized people who nurtured others. I never visit an elementary school and watch the teachers without thinking about that future day when the rewards will be eternal. I never visit a hospital and watch those who nurse and those who clean without thinking of that. And I never visit a workplace where someone serves me and others well, earning wages barely enough to provide the necessities for a family, without thinking of the future. And I never see a mother juggling three little children who are crying while she is smiling, as she shepherds them gently, without seeing in my mind’s eye that day of honor in the presence of the only Judge whose praise will finally matter.
Henry B Erying
May 2001
Moscow, ID

I think too often I look for recognition, be it in the form of financial compensation, praise or prestige. However, I am reminded that the only form of recognition worth while is the praise of a Loving God who knows all and His rewards are eternal.
2 Thessalonians 3:13

1 comment:

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

What a lovely quote, thanks for sharing this, it fits well with some things I've been pondering lately.

Thank you so much for your comment on my blog this morning. I tend to think the same way as you do. We have been told that if we are prepared, we have no reason to fear. Like you, I think (hope?) I would be more inclined to happily share what I have, like the widow did with Elijah. I know I can't see myself going out to plunder & pillage though!

It's nice to "meet" you. I have added you to my feed reader.