Friday, June 6, 2008

Ring Around the Sum

Yesterday DARLING HUSBAND sent me a text: "go look at the sun". I thought, what an odd request. Why would I want to LOOK at the sun? I walked outside and looked up. There I witnessed the most amazing display of color and light. Encircling the sun were two beautiful rainbows. I've never seen anything like it before. I ran back in the house and yelled to the kids, "Come outside. Hurry!" Together we marveled at the phenomenon. SWEETHEART took some pictures, two of them you can make out the first circle of color and the other two give a glimpse of the second circle toward the outer edge of the photo. However, I must tell you that these pictures hardly do the beauty of the event justice.

See the edge of the second ring?

WOW!

What an amazing and beautiful world is our to enjoy!

Posted by Picasa
I googled this amazing sight and learned that it is not all that uncommon. It is caused by ice crystals or water droplets that refract the sun's light (similar to a rainbow) in cirrus clouds. They are usually the first clouds to come into an area before a storm. I thought about this for awhile. If this beautiful sight is not uncommon and this is the first time I have witnessed it then I've been missing out.

Sometimes the joy is there for us to experience all we have to do is "look up". He, the Creator and Lord of the universe, has much to show us.

No comments: