Monday, June 23, 2008

Braggin On My Boy

My SUPERSTAR is such a great young man. I have watched him turn from a crazy boy into a shocking young man. Sometimes it seems to me that this happened overnight and I know this process will continue to awe me over and over. I have seen some things that really make me proud of him. Let me just share two.

1) When my sister and her cute girls visited he was sweet and fun. Here are some pictures of him playing with them. My sis and I were down stairs and we heard the girls running and laughing, "hee, hee, ahh, ohhh, ha." The laughing was so musical, as little girls' laughs are, that we came upstairs to see what was going on. Each of my daughters have beads hanging from their doorways. He was pointing and calling out a color. The girls would run through the beads laughing and trying to get through each door way as soon as he would point and call out a color. As I think about it, I think many adolescent boys would think it silly to play with two little girls. But, he was. And, they were all having a great time.

2) SUPERSTAR has some wonderful friends. With him being the only boy in our family and ALL boy at that, his sisters didn't always appreciate it when he'd want to wrestle, tease, run crazy, etc. So, he has always found guy friends to hang out with and be the boy that the estrogen at home could not squash from him. Over the weekend SUPERSTAR, with 8 of his friends came to hang out at the house. They began taking turns playing Rock Band. After a while I went in to check things out and this is what I found.

Notice SUGAR (my 9 year old) acting as lead singer in the band. My son and his wonderful friends let her take a turn right along with everyone else. They could have said, "No SUGAR, this time it's just the boys." or "SUGAR get out and leave us alone." or something much less kind. But they didn't mind at all having her hang out with them. I said something to them all later, something to the effect of, "thanks for letting SUGAR play Rock Band with you." They, every one of them, acted like it was no big deal, surprised that anyone would not have done the same thing.

To me this is a great indicator of the character of my boy and the character of the friends he hangs out with.

Love you SUPERSTAR

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I love when siblings are nice to each other!!! That is awesome! He's sounds like a great kid!

tammy said...

What a fabulous son and brother!

Becky Frame said...

You have a beautiful family and you are a beautiful mom. Your heart shines clearly through. And I think I've said this already, but I just love your kids' online nicknames.