Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Uncle Tom's Cabin

I've been reading Uncle Tom's Cabin. It is an amazing book. As I've read I've intentionally avoiding reading reviews or critiques of it becasue I want to form my own ideas about the story before I am influenced by scholars.

Holy Cow it's a great book! I'm about 2/3 through it. I find that even though it deals with the issue of slavery it is universally applicable. As I've read and questioned in my mind the author's motivation, I wonder if she is simply decrying the wrongs of slavery or if she intends a higher more universal message. As I read the book I find that it is a study of the human nature to rationalize immoral behavior. In the story there are many characters; slaves, slave holders, and non-slave holders who have varied rationalizations for thier own acts, beliefs and prejudices.

I see a current issue in a similar strain. I think in many ways the treatment of those who break the law to be immoral. For example: those with wealth expereince a very different judicial system than those without wealth, we penialize instead of rehabilitate, and create lables and burdens that last a lifetime, to name only a few. There are a variety of rationalizations we use in order to do this. I don't see this any different than the issue of slavery. I believe it is a continued way to dehumanize an individual.

There is and must be a better way. But first I think we need to stop seeing people in a hierarchy where any one of us is better than the other, or that any one of us is worse than another. -But for the grace of God, go I-

I wonder, have you read Uncle Tom's Cabin?
What are your imprssions?
Is there another book you've read with a similar theme?

1 comment:

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

I have not read this book (yet) but like you, I like to read a book before I hear other reviews on it because I like to form my own impressions. It is interesting how we tend to compartmentalize people based on our views and the "social status" that evolves from it. Its awful to think how these human tendencies to bias have turned deadly in so many situations.