Thursday, July 17, 2008

A Mack Truck

Oh whoa!
I just had the most heart wrenching conversation with my wonderful neighbor. She had just returned from the doctor's office where she learned that her husband has cancer. He has a mass the size of a softball in his liver. As we cried and hugged together, she shared with me all the fears and regrets that have hit her, blindsided her, like a Mack Truck.

This journey through life is brutal at times. It is not always easy to recognize where God's hand is or how God's plan can bring us through the pain of mortality. One thing I know for sure is that we are not expected to get through this life without coming to completely rely on Jesus Christ. Another thing I know and accept is that God has planned for the brutality and pain. He sees with a much broader and eternal perspective than we can. His plan is much bigger than this life.

Mostly I listened to her, provided Kleenex, offered short, kind words and lots of hugs. I am certain there will be more talks like this to come. Mostly I want to be open to be an expression of God's love for her and her family in whatever why He could direct me. Her daughter will be spending the night tonight with SUGAR in hopes that she and her husband can have time to draw strength from each other.

I think uncertainty is one of the tools the adversary uses to make us miserable (like unto himself). The only suggestion I felt impressed to share with her was to live in the moment. Avoid playing the "What If Game" or to play the "Worst Case Scenarios" over and over in her head or even to allow past regrets to fester. Life is in the present moments and when we obsess and worry about a future we don't yet know, it is stealing the joy and life from the present moments we do know.

Your prayers in behalf of her family are welcome as well as neighborly advise for me.

1 comment:

tammy said...

Oh wow, that is so hard. No words of advice here. It's so hard to know what to do. I'm sure just the listening and the hugs helped a lot. Pray that you will be prompted to know what they need.

"Life is in the present moments and when we obsess and worry about a future we don't yet know, it is stealing the joy and life from the present moments we do know." -- Love that. So true.