Sunday, July 13, 2008

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

One of the books that has been a hit this week was "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho. I began reading it and made a few comments about how much I was enjoying it. I read a quote from the book to anyone who would listen. Pretty soon SWEETHEART and SUNSHINE were scrambling over each other to read the story. Whenever one would put it down the other was there to swoop in and bury her own nose into the book.

It was originally published in Brazil in Portuguese. It has now been translated into fifty-six languages and sold more than twenty million copies. "The Alchemist" is a magical parable like story about discovering our own personal calling and the path God leads us on toward the realization of that great treasure. If there was ever a book (scripture excluded) that relates more to the theme and intention of this blog it would be this one.

As the main character discovers his "personal legend" and makes the journey toward it he faces the same kind of obstacles that we all face in pursuit of God's will: those both real and imagined. As the story concludes it becomes apparent that not only is there a treasure to be sought but that the journey in seeking it is a treasure itself and perhaps even more important or just as important as the treasure being sought.

I would like to share the quote I read that began my daughters' interest in the story. At this point in the story the main character Santiago has become aware of this "personal legend" (a treasure) and begun the journey to retrieve it. He has sold all that has to begin this journey and a thief has taken everything. Santiago has spent the night depressed and lost of hope with no money and nowhere to go.

    As he mused about these things, he realized that he had to choose between thinking of himself as the poor victim of a thief or as an adventurer in quest of his treasure.
    "I'm an adventurer, looking for treasure," he said to himself.
I wonder, is there a time in your own life that you had to reframe it, like Santiago? How did it change you from thinking of yourself as the poor victim of a thief to an adventurer in quest of treasure?

One of Mine:
I was a college freshman, living in the dorms, far away from home. I was discouraged. I'd not performed well on a recent test, my roommate was deliriously "in love", I'd not had a date for a while (sad, I know), it would be about a week before I was going to get any money, I was broke and had a pile of laundry I could not afford to clean. I had gone for a walk by myself and was complaining to God about my troubles as I walked. I felt lonely and was sure that no one cared. I told God all of this. As I walked through a park I sat under the shade of a large tree. Something shiny caught my eye (probably reflected in the tears). There on the ground were several quarters and a sliver token for a free ice cream sundae from Dairy Queen. I heard/felt My Father (My God) say, "I am here for you. You are not alone. I care." As it turned out there were EXACTLY the number of quarters necessary to clean my dirty laundry. I still have the ice cream token as a reminder that God hears prayers, (even the silly frivolous prayer of a college freshman) and that He cares about my heart aches (both big and small). I can handle anything with Him beside me.


God is my strength and my refuge (and my ice cream sundae). Psalms 46:1

4 comments:

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

I have heard this book recommended so many times, but I've never heard what its about. Thanks for posting this! I'll add it to my reading list.

Lisa said...

This was required reading last summer for Emily's honors English class. She never really said if she loved it, but I know she read it. I should take a look!

tammy said...

I hadn't heard of this book until you mentioned it. I'll have to check it out.

Loved that story you shared about the quarters. Our worries and prayers are heard and understood, even when we look back and think they were silly. Isn't it amazing that Heavenly Father didn't find your needs frivolous, but answered them anyway in the way you needed most at the time. Thanks for sharing that.

SuperCoolMom said...

I'll have to check that out! Thanks so much for sharing your uplifting story! My testimony that God knows me and loves me came with a can of Cream of Chicken soup!