Wednesday, July 9, 2008

We're Reading!

We went to the library in the "BIG CITY" yesterday. We've come away with many books, some really great ones, I think/hope.

Started with Patrick McManus "The Good Samaritan Strikes Again". I read the first two chapters this morning as everyone was finishing breakfast. This author is quite the character. He has such a great wit (and a bit of sarcasm) which makes his story both entertaining and insightful. We're not quite sure how the story will progress at this point but we are all anxious to find out and enjoy his wit in the process.

I'm in the middle of the first book in the Atrimus Fowl series. There's a lot going on in the story and it is entertaining to read. I'm sure this will become a valuable resource for me in my Middle School classroom (when I finish my degree this year).

Side Note: I've registered for classes this fall
and have three semesters left before I can
begin my "true calling" as a teacher.


SUNSHINE had a difficult time finding something she's not already read. We asked the librarian for a book list for middle schoolers. He handed her a copy of the most recent award winners. She's read every one of them. She balked at the list of "classics" he suggested. I talked her into reading "Olive's Ocean". It's different than the fantasy books she's used to reading but, I think it's sublime. I hope she likes it.
SUGAR got a few "Geronimo Stilton" books, a "My Weird School" book and a "Magic Tree House" book. She's liken the series.
SWEETHEART checked out some mysteries by Mary Higgins Clark.
SUPERSTAR refused to come. "I hate reading." Which I'm hoping to exert greater influence these next few weeks.
I'll be reading "The Christ Commission" and "Uncle Tom's Cabin" when I finish with Atrimus.
Darling Husband seems to have adopted SUPERSTAR'S approach. Whadda ya do?

We looked for "Molly Moon" , "Charlie Bone" and the "Stonewycke" series but without luck. Those books must be pretty popular 'cause there wasn't a single one not already checked out.

One other thing that I thought about was some great poetry. Last night I read Robert Frost's "The Road Not Taken" to the kids. We talked about both the literal and figurative meanings and some of the imagery he uses.

Tonight I think we'll read Carol Lynn Pearson's poem

On Nest Building
Mud is not bad for nest building.
Mud and sticks
And a fallen feather or two will do
And require no reaching.
I could rest there, with my tiny ones,
Sound for the season, at least.

But--
If I may fly awhile--
If I may cut through a sunset going out
And a rainbow coming back,
Color upon color sealed in my eyes--
If I may have the unboundaried skies
For my study,
Clouds, cities, rivers for my rooms--
If I may search the centuries
For melody and meaning--


If I may try for the sun--
I shall come back
bearing such beauties
Gleaned from God's and Man's very best.
I shall come filled.
And, then--
Oh, the nest that I can build!

2 comments:

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

I love Patrick McManus. He has several really funny books.

tammy said...

I am so jealous that you're going to be finishing school to be a teacher! I really wish I would've done that. I know, it's not too late...