Sunday, May 25, 2008

We've Got a Home Run Hitter, Ooh Awe!

Friday was a bit crazy as well. Baseball/Softball season is.


Places to be list:
SUNSHINE game Hillside-starts 6:00 must be there @5:00- takes about 20min from my house to get there. I am the scorekeeper.
SWEETHEART game UNDISCLOSED LOCATION-starts 6:00 must be there @5:30- takes 30-45min from anywhere to get there.
SUPERSTAR at BBall practice-needs ride home sometime between 5:30 and 6:00.


The plan:
Call another team parent, ask her to keep score. Call SUNSHINE'S coach, take her to his house @4:15 let him take her to the game. DARLING HUSBAND arrives at her game at 5:45, and brings her home after the game. Drive out to UNDISCLOSED LOCATION to drop SWEETHEART off a bit early to her game. She has her cell if there are any problems before her team shows up she can call 911. Drive back to the high school to pick up SUPERSTAR. I'm guessing I'll be there close to 6:00. Take him home. He can stay with SUGAR while I'm at SWEETHEART'S game.Drive back to UNDISCLOSED LOCATION, watch SWEETHEART'S game, then bring her home after the game. Sounds pretty good.

What actually happens:Warm 4 frozen dinners (for me, SUGAR, SWEETHEART, and SUNSHINE) we eat them in the car. Leave a message with other team parent about keeping score/call not returned. SUNSHINE'S coach OK to take her to game. Drop her off @4:20. Call DARLING HUSBAND-"You get to keep score tonight." I tell the coach this when I drop SUNSHINE off. DARLING HUSBAND arrives at game, keeps score. Game is "boring" they tell me. The pitcher couldn't pitch strikes. Most runs were walked in. SUNSHINE plays 3rd base the whole game. She's happy. DARLING HUSBAND brings her home.

On the way to UNDISCLOSED LOCATIN to drop SWEETHEART off, @5:00 SUPERSTAR calls, "practice ended early can you come get me?" I tell him it's going to be about an hour before I could be there. "Hang tight, do some homework, I'll be there as soon as I can." Drop off SWEETHEART at 5:30 pick up SUPERSTAR at 6:15. Tell him that I'll leave SUGAR with him while I'm at the game. He's not happy about that. "It's Friday night. I want to hang out with my friends." OK I let him and I take SUGAR with me to SWEETHEART'S game. Arrive at her game at the top of the 2nd inning. It's cold. SWEETHEART plays short stop. Lots of hits for both teams. Exciting game. 2nd at bat SWEETHEART lets a strike go by. I yell, "Come on SWEETHEART, put the bat on it." She tells me later that when she heard my voice she thought, oh my mom's here. I should hit one for her. She hits is HARD over the center fielder's head. She is rounding 3rd by the time they field the ball and start throwing it in. HOME RUN!!!! WOOO HOOO!

At the end of the game our pitcher is tired and not throwing well, another pitcher comes in, she twists her ankle and not pitching well. We're up by only one run. 2 outs, tieing run on third, we need an out to end the game. Coach calls time, walks on to the field and says, "SWEETHEART" SWEETHEART in shock, says, "SWEETHEART? Did he say me?" She hasn't pitched in more than a year. That's not something she even practices. She walks to the circle, umpire gives her 8 warm up pitches. Most bounce way before the plate, only one is a strike. "Batter up!" Batter swings at a bad pitch-stike 1. She pitches a slow strike, batter dinks it to the 2nd baseman, she's thrown out at 1st-game over.

It is so cooll - Home run and she shut down the last batter. Way to go!

No comments: