Thursday, October 9, 2008

Unfinished Paper

I have become VERY lax at posting things regularlly...sorry...I'm crazy busy with school stuff. Actually I have a paper due in a few hours. I don't want to do it, I'm feeling a bit discouraged, and instead of finishing it I'm posting here....

This paper (I'm supposed to be finishing) is comparing curriculum guides from the school district's standards with the state standards and national standards for science. I chose 5th grade. The crazy thing is that I'm comparing a 7 page document (district science standards), a 5 page document (state science standards) and a 265 page book (national science standards). I just don't want to do it. It makes me aware of the immense expectations, and I don't know how reality, resources, time, and large class size can make possible.

Too much the focus for education (because of NCLB) has become reading and math skills. The pressure and consequences have caused many schools to neglect science education or to give it only a few minutes each week. How can I give my students all that I know they need and deserve?

My instructor has shown us teaching methods and tools (kits) that incorporate science into other content areas. These kits have been shown to give depth in science understanding and also to increase student achievement in math, reading and literary arts. BUT, the local school districts, which used to use them, have abandoned them for the sales pitch of a text book.

What the heck? How can anyone REALLY teach science from a BOOK?

So anyway...my paper is going to be late....

No comments: