Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Another Cool Mom Moment

Last night my girls and I made a necessary trip to Target. SUNSHINE was way past due needing a new bra or two, SUGAR needed long pants (minus torn knees) and SWEETHEART was hunting for PJ's. While they waited for me to finish some homework before we went, SUNSHINE laid down and had to be woken up to go. She was groggy and moody as we all got into the car. SUGAR (10 yrs old) was hyped up and excited. The contrast between their two moods collided like big horn sheep biding for superiority. Neither backed down and each was pushing the other's buttons relentlessly. The drive to Target was not fun. Trying to play referee and drive was unsuccessful. I resorted to repeatedly calling back, "Be nice!" "Be nice!", "Girls! That's enough, please, be kind."

When we got to the store the two older girls took off in one direction and SUGAR and I beelined for the girls section. We crossed paths several times at the dressing rooms. At one point as we were all leaving the dressing area back for another attempt at new sizes and styles I heard, just behind me, SUNSHINE say, "I'm sorry for being such a jerk." Then SUGAR responded, "It's OK I was being pretty annoying." In shock and disbelief I looked back to see them walking each with their arms around the other. It was about all I could do to keep walking and not burst with pride and announce to the whole store what an amazing thing had just occurred. Each girl accepted her part of the earlier head butting, apologized and forgave.

OH WOW!

I got a glimpse of how God must feel when we make amends to each other bringing us closer to Him and removing barriers that draw us, His children, to one another.

VERY, Very, very cool mom moment!

1 comment:

tammy said...

That is so sweet. Times like that make my heart happy.