Thursday, September 18, 2008

Do You Know?

I'm back in school getting a second degree. My first degree was in Social Work and now I'm studying Elementary Education. (I'm 'bout dying to teach 4th-7th grade) Next semester I begin the student teaching aspect of this degree but right now I am SOOO wanting to be done. I'm in classes with lots of young people and I feel REALLY OLD! But I so want to teach that I'm willing to be the "old fart" woman who throws off the curve in these college classes. Oh well, too bad for them. They have skinny, cute little bodies I don't feel so bad exercising my mighty brain in their presence.

In my science methods class we've been talking about misconceptions that students bring with them and some of the things, as a teacher, we can do to present good information.

We watched a film of Harvard Graduates (in their caps and gowns on graduation day). The film crew stopped several students and asked them these questions. Many of them responded with incorrect answers.

So I'm going to ask you a some of the questions. I'll post the answers in a few days.

1. When you look at the moon, why do you sometimes see a crescent, half, or full moon? What causes the moon to change phases?



2. Why do we have seasons? (winter, summer, spring, fall)

3. Can you light a bulb with a battery and a wire? How?

3 comments:

tammy said...

1. It has to do with the orientation of the sun and the moon.

2. Because the earth is tilted on it's axis, and as it makes it's yearly journey around the sun, the part that is closer to the sun has summer, while the part that's farther away, has winter.

3. I know it's possible, but I can't remember how. It's been too long. Does it have something to do with using your tongue?

And if I even get any of these close to being right, I'll go back to school too. I think it's fabulous that you're going to be teaching. I often think about doing that.

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

So tell me please...I have a BS in psychology and would like to get my teaching certificate for elementary ed...are you having to do an entire new degree, or just take the education classes/practicum?

FallFleur said...

Jen,
I'm not sure if every state does it the same way. You'll have to check where you are. For me it is an entire new degree. However, because I already have a BS this four year degree in taking me three.
I do love it - I say GO FOR IT!