Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Mack Truck Part II

I thought I'd give you and update on my neighbor from the previous Mack Truck post.

All is very good. He had his kidney removed. Spent a few days in the hospital but was walking around by the second day. When my husband and I checked in on him at the hospital we had such a great time with him and his wife- the nurses had to come shut the door to his room because we were laughing and disturbing other patients.

He has a terrific scar along his right side. It almost looks like they nearly sawed him in half, like the magic trick where the magician cuts a woman in two. I told him he didn't really fit the profile of a magician's assistant. He's much too hairy.

All the post operative scans have shown no indication that cancer spread to any other part of his body. There were a couple of spots on his ribs that lit up in one scan but the doctor said they could be old football injuries. They'll keep and eye on them, do more scans in a few months to check. But, all looks great.

About a week after the surgery he got pneumonia 'cause apparently he wasn't breathing deep enough. But that's clearing up with antibiotics and one of those plastic breathing toys they give you in the hospital after surgery. You know the one's they buy for 80 cents but charge you $80. Yep, those.

I must say that I've seen the two of them several times and have witnessed more tenderness and intimate glances at each other than I'd ever seen before. One of the regrets that my dear neighbor shared with me in our first conversation about her husband's cancer was the regret that their marriage was not close and that they were still married more out of habit than love or the desire to be together. I can only guess, but I suspect that the jolt of something so potentially life changing could have brought them a greater appreciation of the life they have. I think for my friend the opportunity to care for her husband and for him to be vulnerable with her brought clarity.

God's Plan for his children is amazing!

3 comments:

tammy said...

That's good that he's doing okay, and maybe a blessing in disguise. Cancer scares me so much! I know too many people who are going through it, or have gone through it.

Becky Frame said...

I just honored you with an award over at Abba Stories

:)

Get Hooked said...

I'm pretty sure your "fans" are tired of seeing Mack Truck Part II here too! Just a suggestion, but I think we could all use some updated enlightenment from you. Love Ya!